The Summer Holidays are great, but can also be very costly for parents. That's why we have been scouting about for Holiday Clubs, Sports Sessions and the likes, to ensure that the kids have fun, even when us adults can't join in. We discovered that many local authorities run discounted clubs for the kids, some even free, that'll not only occupy them over the course of the holidays, but give you a break too.
Angus Council offer the bActive Scheme, which means you can sign up to a £22.50 monthly subscription, which enables your child to go to Holiday Club, Football Training, Trampolining, Swimming Lessons and much more at no extra charge.
There are some activities which are chargeable, but most of the Summer Activities are FREE with B Active Membership.
The savings involved can be huge, depending on how much you sign your child up to.
City of Aberdeen Council
Sign up to Active Starts for just £9.75 a month. Children aged 5-13 in Aberdeen can enjoy FREE Unlimited access to all public swimming sessions, to golf and iZone sessions. Holiday Activities are discounted too, and they get one FREE Charged Active Schools activity per term, birthday party offers, and 10% off ice skating!
For those aged 14- 17, it's £12.50 a month and your teen can get Unlimited FREE Public swimming sessions, Fitness Classes, Fitness Studios access, personalised training plans, advice from Health and Wellness advisors, Golf, one Charged Active School Club and much more!
City of Edinburgh Council
For those residing within the City of Edinburgh, you can purchase a Junior Summer Pass for just £39. (For under 18's only)
This gives you unlimited access to Swimming, Gym (including NRG Zone gym training), Climbing, Fitness Classes, Saunas & Turkish baths, Racquet sports and golf.
The pass is valid from 28th June until 19th August 2018.
North Lanarkshire Council
North Lanarkshire Council is providing free meals at weekends and holidays for Primary School Pupils in receipt of FREE School Meals.
This is running from Friday 29th June to Tuesday 14th August 2018.
In addition to the FREE meals, there will be Multi-sports games and fun activities on offer.
There's also theKidz Cardwhich is FREE and gives 20% off Gym and Classes, Swimming at NL Leisure pools & Time Capsule, Golf and Badminton/5 A Side court hire. Plus 25% off Ice Skating.
York City Council
For £16.50 a month, with Better Health & Fitness Junior, your child can enjoy unlimited access to Swimming Pools, Junior Gym and Junior Fitness Classes at Better Leisure Centres in your home area. As well as that, you get to use Squash, Badminton and Table Tennis Courts within your home area (one court per person per day). Plus up to 30% off other activities.
Birmingham City Council
Birmingham City Council run lots of different activities and clubs over the Summer Holidays. Costs vary, and early booking is advised. Find the full list of Summer Activities in Birmingham here (Currently showing May 2018, but will be updated any day now - most activities and clubs will be available during the Summer Holidays too. We checked with Birmingham Early Years).
Here are some examples:
- Aspire Healthy Holidays: For £3 a day, your child get the opportunity to be active and eat healthy nutritious food, in a safe and secure environment.
- Birmingham Carers Hub - Short Breaks for Children with Additional Needs: The Hub can help parents of children with Additional Needs access up to 100 hours of subsidised support at Summer Holiday Clubs across Birmingham.
- Strikes Soccer Academy - Fox Hollies Leisure Centre: £12.50 per day. Football Holiday Playscheme for children aged 4-11 years.
- Urban Kids Camp: £48.95 per week Holiday scheme for children aged 8-16 years, that runs from 8.30 until 17.00 each day (Tuesday-Friday).
Bury Metropolitan Borough Council
Bury Metropolitan Borough Council run Summer Sports Camps for children aged 8 to 14 years old that run Monday to Friday, from 23rd July to 31st August. The cost is £20 per day, or £15 with a active lifestyle discount card, or £18 for junior active lifestyle members.
The Camp includes Dodgeball, Trampolining, Football, Rounders, Badminton, Volleyball and loads more.
Brighton & Hove City Council
Brighton & Hove City Council have a full booklet full of Summer Clubs and Activities. Some are FREE and some are chargeable, with special rates for low income families.
Here's a small selection of what's on offer:
- Amigos 2018 Summer Club: Holiday Club for Children aged 2-5. Cost £19 per child, £15 each additional child and low income families.
- Compass Card: Free and discounted activities for children and young people aged 0 to 25 with disabilities or special educational needs with the Compass Card in Brighton & Hove. Includes FREE Swimming for the card holder and up to four others, FREE Fitness sessions, FREE Gym and much more!
- Meerkat Discovery Trail: A FREE activity finding Meerkats around the streets of central Hove. Download the booklet here.
- Breakout Summer Sports: Affordable Sports Activities for children aged 3-14 years old at the Freedom Leisure Brighton and Hove. Activities are chargeable, but are discounted for Family/Junior Members and Leisure Card Holders.
Cardiff City Council
For only £13 a month, with Better Health & Fitness Junior, your child can enjoy unlimited access to gym, fitness classes and swimming. Also, a Personalised fitness induction and personal exercise programme. You can also save up to 30% off Activities on the Summer Programme found here.
If your local Council isn't running anything suitable for your brood, then it's worth checking out what your School is offering over the Summer. Some are running affordable Holiday Clubs, using their Out of School Club Staff.