Facebook and Instagram is awash with DIY groups, and I must admit I'm a little addicted. What amazes me is just how popular Fablon is, better known as sticky back plastic or vinyl. What a difference it can make to old tired furniture, and you can pick rolls of it from just £5 - ideal if you're on a tight budget. Wondering to buy it from? We've found the best places in the UK...
Where To Buy Sticky Back Plastic UK
- Fablon Silver Sparkle Sticky Back Plastic* £5
- Fablon Ash White Wood Effect Sticky Back Plastic*£5
- Fablon Light Spruce Wood Effect Sticky Back Plastic* £5
- Fablon White Gloss Sticky Back Plastic*£5
- Fablon Red Sticky Back Plastic*£5
- Hode Furniture Sticker Glitter Effect Vinyl Film* £11.99
- Sticky Back Self Adhesive A4 Sheet* £2.99 delivered (deal for smaller areas)
- d-c-fix Plastic Self-Adhesive Contact Paper Stone Sticky Back Plastic* £5.87 delivered
- Fablon FAB13367 Lemon Green Matte Adhesive Film*£1.62
- Fablon 45 cm x 2 m Roll Polka Dot*£8.23
- 1m X 45cm DC Fix Modern White Tile Sticky Back Plastic* £5.49 delivered
- 1m x 45cm Sonoma Oak Woodgrain Self Adhesive Sticky Back Plastic* £5.49 delivered
- 2m x 45cm Blackwood Woodgrain Self Adhesive Vinyl Sticky Back Wrap*£7.99 delivered
- D-C-Fix fablon Floral Stained Glass Metallic Brick wood Self Adhesive Vinyl* from £7.99 delivered
- D-C-Fix Lava Matt White Film (L) 1.5m (W) 450mm* £7
- D-C-Fix Tulia Floral Multicolour Self-adhesive film* £6
- D-C-Fix Plain Matt Black Self-adhesive film* £4
- D-C-Fix Beige Marble effect Self-adhesive film* £6
- D-C-Fix Marmi Black Marble effect Self-adhesive film* £6
What is Fablon?
Fablon is a vinyl covering that has a self-adhesive backing. Thus, why it gets called sticky back plastic. It can be used to re-invent the look of old furniture, kitchen worktops and units, or even on fridge freezers.
It's an inexpensive way to totally transform the look of a room, and this is why it's extremely popular just now. It takes less time and money than sanding, painting etc.
How To Use Fablon & Sticky Back Plastic
Fablon and sticky back plastic is easy to use, and it's a matter of peeling and sticking down to cleaned surfaces. Very little prep is required, so long as your surface is clean and as smooth as possible it'll be fine.
Purchase enough rolls of sticky back plastic that's big enough to cover the surface you wish to transform. The key to is ensure than once laying it down, it's free of bubbles. You can achieve this with a debit card and cut as required with a Stanley knife, or purchase a special Application Tool Kit* for just £4.99 delivered.