One of the best things about a birthday is the cake. Whilst some parents are talented and can rustle up a masterpiece, others (like myself) rely on the supermarket shelves. They are so much better than years ago and you can really find some cool ones out there.
Asda Birthday Cakes
Asda stores big and small sell a selection of birthday cakes. They are known for their quirky designs and often bring the unusual to the supermarket shelves. You can also order their Cakes* when grocery shopping online.
- Leopard Print Celebration Cake* £12
- Drip Cake* £13
- Clyde the Caterpillar Cake* £6
- Rainbow Jazzie Cake* £13
- Mega Chocolate Cake* £6
- Unicorn Cake* £12
- Custard Cream Cake* £8
- Pinata Surprise Cake*£13
- Chocolate Smash Cake* £13
- Flamingo Cake* £10
- Half 'n' Half Cake* £13
Tesco Birthday Cakes
Tesco stores are well stocked with a variety ofBirthday Cakes for Kids*. Prices range from £5.50 to nearer the £15 mark, so there's something for everyone.
- Mars M&M Ballpool Celebration Cake* £11
- Milkshake Mashup Cupcake* £10
- Pink Flamingo Cake*£12
- Pick & Mix Cupcake* £11
- Cheeky Monkey Cake* £8
- Mega Chocolate Cupcake*£6
- Rose Bouquet Cake* £11
- Football Cake* £7
- French Bulldog Celebration Cake* £10
M&S Birthday Cakes
Marks and Spencer are well known for their luxurious food, and their Birthday Cakes* are testament to that. They have a fantastic range online for kids, and some are available in store too.
- Rainbow Layer Cake* £25
- Personalised Extremely Chocolatey Express Train* £40
- Personalised Stripe the Bumblebee Cake* £25
- Personalised Buddy the Puppy Cake* £35
- Personalised Racing Car Cake* £45
- Personalised Stars Number Sponge Cake - Single Digit* £28
- Personalised Tropical Flamingo Cake* £40
Sainsbury's Birthday Cakes
Sainsbury's boast impressive cake counters in their bigger stores, and also sell Birthday Cakes* in the aisles. They do have an impressive range of character, as well as own branded cakes online too.
- Sainsbury's Mermaid Madeira Cake* £10
- Sainsbury's Rory the Lion Celebration Cake* £9
- Sainsbury's Nancy the Narwhal Madeira Cake* £9
- Sainsbury's Sammy the Sausage Dog Cake* £10
- Sainsbury's Rainbow Cake* £12
- Sainsbury's Monty the Monkey Celebration Cake* £9
Costco Birthday Cakes
Costco Birthday Cakes* have a cult following. Why? They are absolutely delicious, not to mention pretty cool as well. Each cake is 40cm x 30cm in size, serves 48 and sells for £14.99. If you get the chance also, try their Red Velvet Cupcakes - they are HUGE and delicious.
Best Birthday Cakes for Girls
- Princess Tiara Cake*£10 from Tesco
- Personalised Fairytale Castle Cake* £45 from Marks and Spencer
- Pink Handbag Cake* £30 from Waitrose
- Fiona Cairns Pink Parcel Cake* £25 from Waitrose
- Waitrose Chocolate Sweetie Cake* £12 from Waitrose
- Waitrose Lucky Lamb Cake*£10 from Waitrose
- Spotty Dog Cake* £30 from Waitrose
Best Birthday Cakes for Boys
- Personalised Giant Colin the Caterpillar Cake* £40 from Marks and Spencer
- Personalised Pirate Ship Cake* £45 from Marks and Spencer
- Sainsbury's Teddy Bear Cake* £10 from Sainsbury's
- 1st Birthday Train Cake*£28 from Waitrose
- Waitrose Betty The Bee Cake* £14 from Waitrose
- Doodle The Dog Cake*£14 from Waitrose
- Fire Engine Cake*£30 from Waitrose
Personalised Birthday Cakes
Personalised Birthday Cakes are a nice touch, and always go down well. Just a name and age is nice, or make things fun with a cheeky message.
- Personalised Brilliant Burger Cake*£45 from Marks and Spencer
- Personalised Stars Numbers Sponge Cake Double Digit* £55 from Marks and Spencer
- Personalised Extra Large Rainbow Layers Cake* £45 from Marks and Spencer
- Heston Top Hat Cake* £45 from Waitrose
- Pirate Ship Cake* £50 from Waitrose
- Fiona Cairns Chocolate Train Birthday Cake*£22 from Waitrose
- Sparky Pony Celebration Cake* £25 from Waitrose
- Fiona Cairns Ladybird Cake* £25 from Waitrose
Gluten Free Birthday Cakes
Whilst there isn't a huge selection of Gluten Free Cakes in the shops, there are some great ones out there to be had.
- Sainsbury's Deliciously Free From Seriously Chocolate Cake* £8 from Sainsbury's
- Personalised Gluten-Free Balloon Celebration* £20 from Marks and Spencer
- Morrisons Free From Vanilla Tray Bake* £3.60 from Morrisons
- Morrisons Free From Chocolate Tray Bake* £3.60 from Morrisons
- ASDA Free From Frieda the Caterpillar Cake* £6.25 from Asda
Nut Free Birthday Cakes
Children with nut allergies can enjoy these...
- Just Love Food Company Birthday Cake*£5.50 from Asda
- Just Love Food Company Nut Safe Vanilla Party Bake* £3.50 from Sainsbury's
Dairy Free Birthday Cakes
Lactose or milk intolerant? Your child doesn't need to miss out with these Dairy Free Cakes...
- Sainsbury's Deliciously Free From Chocolate Traybake* £4.50 from Sainsbury's
- Tesco Free From Carl The Caterpillar Cake* £6 from Tesco
- Morrisons Free From Happy Birthday Cake*£8 from Morrisons
- Sainsbury's Deliciously Free From Madeira Celebration Cake*£7 from Sainsbury's
- Tesco Free From Vanilla Traybake*£4 from Tesco
Egg Free Birthday Cakes
Unfortunately, the supermarkets don't seem to sell Egg Free Birthday Cakes yet, but we reckon it's only a matter of time.
Fortunately, you can buy Eggless Cake Mix* from eBay. Okay, so it means you have to bake it yourself, but you can't go wrong with a Powder Mix.
Sugar Free Birthday Cakes
- Paleo Birthday Cake £20 from Primal Bakers