If you haven't yet caught up with the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak's plans that have been set out today then never fear as we have the details here. One of the plans we found most interesting was the launch of an 'eat out to help out' discount scheme, giving people across the UK a 50% discount – capped at £10 per person – on meals at many restaurants, cafes and pubs.
In his economic statement to Parliament, the Chancellor Rishi Sunak said the scheme would run from Monday to Wednesday each week at participating businesses in a move that will give the hospitality sector - and millions of workers - a much-needed boost.
How will the 'eat out to help out' scheme work?
Here's what we know about how the scheme will work so far:
- You'll be able to get a 50% discount on sit-down meals and non-alcoholic drinks if you're eating in. The total amount you get off the bill will be capped at £10 per person, per meal. Takeaways won't be discounted. It will not include alcohol.
- You'll only be able to get the discount at participating restaurants, cafes and pubs.
Firms can apply to be part of the scheme, and the Government says a
full list of those participating will be published on its website in due
- The discount will apply on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It'll run throughout August 2020.
- You'll be able to use the discount as many times as you want. There's no limit.
- The discount will be applied automatically when you pay. So
you won't need to do anything to get it – the restaurant, cafe or pub
will simply apply the reduction, then claim the cost back from the
- Crucially, you WILL be able to use the discount in conjunction with other vouchers. This is important, particularly because many restaurants already offer discounts early in the week. The Government discount will be applied after the other vouchers – so if you use a restaurant voucher, you'll get a 50% discount on the already-discounted price.
Which Restaurants Are Included?
Here are some of the restaurant chains that have announced they are taking part:
- All Bar One
- Bella Italia
- Burger King
- Cafe Rouge
- Caffe Nero
- Castle pubs
- Coffee #1
- Costa Coffee
- Cote Brasserie
- Ember Inns
- Five Guys
- Franco Manca
- Frankie & Benny’s
- Gourmet Burger Kitchen
- Greene King
- Honest Burger
- Las Iguanas
- McDonald's (selected branches)
- Miller & Carter
- Oak Tree
- Ole & Steen
- Orchid Pubs
- Pizza Express
- Pizza Hut
- Premium Country Pubs
- Pret A Manger
- Sizzling Pubs
- Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery
- TGI Fridays
- Toby Carvery
- Vintage Inns
- Yo Sushi
To find out if smaller chains and individual restaurants are taking part in the scheme you can enter your postcode here*, and you will see a list of places nearby that are offering half price meals.
We will of course keep you updated with more information as soon as it is available. We would love to hear from you over on our Facebook page, what do you think of this scheme? Will this encourage you to eat out at restaurants and cafes again after lockdown? Or will you continue to stay home?