Parents Warn Of Lift-Up Bed Dangers
A two-year-old has made a full recovery after getting tangled by his neck in a loop attached to his parents' lift-up bed.
BBC News reports:
A two-year-old boy was found hanging and unresponsive after his neck became stuck in a loop on his parents' lift-up bed. Charlotte Hames, 30, from Derbyshire, said her son Buddy George had stopped breathing and turned blue following the accident on Monday.
The boy's mother has spoken about the terrifying experience in the hopes of raising awareness about the dangers of this type of bed.
Having realised her son had gone quiet whilst she was in the bathroom, Hames returned to the bedroom to find her son hanging by his neck from the bed's lifting loop, not breathing.
The boy was taken to hospital and has since made a full recovery but the local council's trading standards team is reportedly investigating the incident and exploring whether lift-up beds can be modified to have the loop removed.
The beds, known as ottoman frames, have lift-up bases to provide storage space beneath. The couple's bed was fitted with a foot loop which allows a person to start to lift the base before hydraulic arms bring the mattress up fully.
It seems the little boy somehow triggered the bed's lifting mechanism which continued to rise even though his neck was caught in the loop, lifting him off the floor.
It doesn't bear thinking about and I know every parent reads stories like this with a ball of dread in their guts. Thank goodness this little boy has recovered but it goes without saying - it you have a bed of this type of design, don't leave little ones unattended around it.
Image Credit :The Guardian