Love food but have no time for ovens, dirty kitchens and clock watching? Let me introduce you to the world of 'Meals in a Mug'. That's right, forget standing scrubbing three pots, a frying pan, a bowl and a whisk when you can do it all in a mug. You know it makes sense.
I have picked five tried and tested 'Meals in a Mug' that I found pretty darn tasty and super easy to make.
A Tip - Make sure your mug is a big 'un!
1. Macaroni Cheese in a Mug:
Seriously, my favourite savoury meal made in a mug. It's yummy and only takes ten minutes max, for the prep and the cooking time.
You will need:
- 28g/1oz Macaroni Pasta
- 175ml/6fl oz Cold Water
- 4 Tablespoons Whole Milk (You can use semi-skimmed but I prefer it a bit creamier)
- ¼ Teaspoon Cornflour
- 4 Tablespoons Grated Strong Cheddar Cheese
- 1/8 Teaspoon English Mustard
- Salt and Pepper (for seasoning)
- Add the Macaroni and Water to your mug and microwave for around 3 and a half minutes.
- Once time has elapsed in the microwave check that the pasta is soft. If it's not then stick back in for 30 seconds and keep repeating until it's cooked.
- When cooked, drain off the excess cooking water.
- Now, you can stir in the rest of your ingredients.
- The final bit - microwave for 30 seconds. Your sauce should look smooth and yummy. If it's not quite right, try another ten minutes.
2. Cheese and Ham Omelette:
Here's one I have probably made the most. I was on the Atkins Diet and had no time to get the frying pan out every morning. It's quick, yummy and ideal for breakfast time.
- 2 Large Chicken Eggs (I use Duck Eggs)
- 4 Tablespoons Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Cooked Ham
- A Sprinkling of Diced Red Pepper
- Splash of Soy Sauce
- Cooking Spray
- Spray the inside of a Large Mug with Cooking Spray.
- Crack your Eggs into the mug and beat.
- Throw in the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Cook in the microwave on full power for one minute. Your egg should be fully cooked and set. If not try another 10 seconds and repeat until satisfied.
3. Nutella Cake in a Mug:
I am about to rock your world. Ever had a craving for a fudgy, chocolate brownie late at night? The shops are shut so you sit feeling unsatisfied. No longer with you have to endure such hardship. Save this recipe in your head...
- 30g Self-Raising Flour
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa
- 3 Tablespoons Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread (Nutella)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Grab a Large Mug
- Mix all of the Ingredients in the Mug until it's a smooth batter consistency.
- Cook on full power for two minutes. If the cake isn't fully cooked, then pop it in for another 30 seconds.
- Scoff it whilst it's warm! Mmmmm!
4. Pizza in a Mug:
- 4 Tablespoons Plain Flour
- 1/8 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/16 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Dash of Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Sauce
- Grated Cheese
- Ham, Pepperoni or Topping of your choice
- Add all of your dry ingredients together and stir.
- Mix in the Milk and Oil and stir thoroughly.
- Spoon your sauce on top of the wet base carefully. You want separate layers.
- Sprinkle on your Cheese (I use loads) and the other toppings.
- Cook in the microwave on full power for one minute.
- Tuck in whilst it's hot!
5. Apple Crumble in a Mug:
- ½ Apple (peeled and diced into small pieces)
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Maple Syrup
- A Sprinkle of Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Cold Water
- 15g Salted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Fine Oats
- 3 Tablespoons Plain Flour
- 2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 chopped Almonds or Walnuts (you can use more if you like it nutty)
- Mix the Apple, Lemon Juice, Maple Syrup, Cinnamon and Water.
- Cook in the microwave on full power for three minutes.
- Then make the crumble by mixing the Butter, Flour, Oats, Sugar and Nuts.
- Spoon the mixture onto the cooked Apples. Set microwave to full power for 2 and a half minutes. Add 10 seconds if you think it needs more.